Post-Divorce Modification Attorney in Sterling Heights, MI

Assisting Michigan Clients in Changing the Terms of Alimony and Support Agreements

During a Michigan divorce, the parties often reach agreements governing child custody, spousal support, and child support. As circumstances change, these agreements become outdated and inadequate. At the Law Offices of Kevin R. Lynch P.L.C., we assist clients in obtaining modifications of alimony agreements and child support agreements. Located in Sterling Heights, our firm provides personalized service to help each client achieve their goals. Our divorce modification attorney serves clients throughout Macomb County, Wayne County, and the surrounding areas.

Why Would I Need to Change a Divorce Agreement?

There are many reasons why you would seek our help to modify your divorce agreement. Some of the most common reasons include:

  • Changes in income. The income of each party at the time of their divorce agreement isn’t likely to be their income forever. When the person paying child support or alimony has a major increase in pay, the parent receiving the support may try to obtain an increase in support. Similarly, our family law attorney helps clients obtain temporary or permanent modifications when their income level drops and they can no longer afford to pay the agreed-upon amount.
  • Changes in custody needs. As life changes, it may make sense to change a custody order. When a parent moves, or intends to move, they usually need to address these changes. In some cases, a parent may no longer be able to provide a safe or appropriate home for a child. Visitation agreements can also be changed to address changing circumstances.
  • Changes in a child’s needs. As a child’s medical, educational or living expenses change, it may become necessary for the custodial parent to seek more support. Our firm helps parents obtain support that has become necessary after a divorce has been finalized.

We understand how important it is to have custody and support agreements that meet the needs of children and both parents. We work to obtain modifications through negotiation or litigation.

How Can I Obtain a Post-Divorce Modification?

Courts are allowed to modify divorce decrees and some divorce agreements. The easiest way to do this is to have our firm work with your former spouse’s attorneys to draft a new agreement. If you both agree on changes, a court is likely to approve the modification. If the other party does not agree to modify the agreement, or if the original agreement was a non-modifiable arrangement, we will file a motion with the court seeking a hearing. At this hearing, we will represent your interests and seek to have the arrangement modified or upheld, depending on your needs.

Contact A Divorce Modification Attorney For Help Today

The Law Offices of Kevin R. Lynch P.L.C. assists clients in obtaining alimony and child support agreement modifications. If life changes have caused your current agreement to become inadequate, contact us to learn your options. Call us at 586-336-1088 or contact a divorce modification attorney online to schedule a free consultation in Sterling Heights, Michigan.