Wrongful Death Lawyer Eastpointe, MI
Helping clients get justice after a loved one is killed in a Michigan accident
When a loved one does from an injury sustained in an accident or work incident, your family may have rights. The State of Michigan allows families to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent person responsible for the accident. This suit is intended to allow the family to recover monetary compensation for their economic losses as well as for the emotional suffering that they and the deceased person have endured. At the Law Offices of Kevin R. Lynch P.L.C., we strive to provide grieving families with compassionate service and skilled representation. We serve the Macomb County and Oakland County areas of Michigan.
Understanding wrongful death in Michigan
A death is considered wrongful when it is the result of injuries sustained due to someone else’s negligence or their intentional actions (such as a shooting). Wrongful death cases are generally allowed in situations where the decedent (deceased person) could have brought a personal injury lawsuit had they survived their injuries. The suit is brought by the representative of the estate, but any damages awarded in the suit will be divided among the decedent’s family members, including:
- Grandparents and parents
- Children of the spouse
- Anyone named in the decedent’s will
If there is no will or no one in the will is alive, others may be able to recover. Your Warren wrongful death attorney will help you understand your rights.
Common causes of wrongful death claims
Negligence in nearly any setting can lead to a wrongful death. Some of the most common causes of wrongful death claims include:
- Vehicle accidents. Car, truck, motorcycle and bicycle crashes often cause serious or fatal injuries, especially in cases of drunk driving. In many cases, these collisions are the fault of a driver.
- Slips and falls. Icy sidewalks, broken railings and crumbling steps can all cause someone to fall to their death. Hazards in stores and parking lots sometimes prove deadly.
- Medical malpractice. Mistakes by doctors, surgeons, hospitals or medical professionals frequently result in severe injury or death. Mistreatment at a nursing home can be fatal.
- Product defects. Products liability claims can be filed after a defect in a car, machine, or other product injures or kills someone.
Regardless of who caused your loved one’s injuries, our legal team will aggressively litigate to get your family justice and the compensation you need to move on.
Limits on wrongful death claims
Nearly all Michigan wrongful death claims must be filed within three years. The representative of the estate, upon filing the claim, must notify all family members who may be eligible to recover damages within 30 days. It is important to seek out an experienced and compassionate attorney at our firm as soon as possible. Having more time allows us to collect evidence, consult with experts and determine who was responsible for your loved one’s death. We work hard to build your case so that we can better serve your family.
Contact us for help getting your family justice
The Law Offices of Kevin R. Lynch P.L.C. represents injury victims and their families in Eastpointe, Michigan and the surrounding areas. We have helped thousands of people navigate the justice system to get the compensation they deserve. We offer free initial consultations at either of our locations in Eastpointe and Clinton Township, MI. To plan your free consultation, call us at 586-336-1088 or contact us online.